TAR ASIA episode 2 ranking
– The day I blog TAR Asia episode 2 happens to be the day where somebody at Wal-Mart said my dad looked like David Suzuki. Surprisingly, this is far from the first time that a stranger has called him that. Speaking of Asians, it’s time to blog TAR Asia!
– MSN is a sponsour. Too bad MSN Messenger is gone. Sony? Caltex? Air Asia? Nokia? Bintan Lagoon Resort? Alaxan FR? Sustagen Premium? Techron? Converse? Greenwich? Sun Cellular? That is a ton of sponsours. Do we get to start the episode yet?
– Previously on TAR Asia:
– Sahran faced his greatest fear: Doing any task that would normally occur on TAR. Ernie & Jeena had a close encounter with a local. Jo Jer traveled further than she anticipated. A trail at KL Tower had most teams lost in the jungle. Indonesian brothers Mardy & Marcio relied on instinct and strolled to the pit stop in first. Sandy & Francesca were last to arrive and had their money taken away from them.
Even in TAR she would have been first one eliminated.
Fine. That was Francesqua. You’re right.
– Will no money hold them up on the next leg of the race? It’s only TAR Asia, so naturally, we don’t care. Ten teams remain but who will be the first eliminated?
– Intro time. Did Ernie just slap Jeena in the face?! Spousal abuse is rated PG considering that guy from Honeymooners got away with it.
– We are introduced to Kuala Lumpur. . .again. Same dang city introduction back-to-back rounds. That is a series first. No city has been recapped in consecutive rounds before this (the budget cuts for the American version do not start until next season, and even then we don’t start in the same city back to back rounds). This is also the fourth time we have been introduced to Kuala Lumpur if you include TAR All Stars. TAR 3 snuck away to Singapore right before the end of round eleven.
Someone should research how the adjectives used to describe Kuala Lumpur have changed from each of the four episodes. Bustling metropolis? Heart of Southeast Asia? I wish I would’ve recorded that earlier in my blogs.
– The Minara Whatevertheheckhesaid. Kuala Lumpur must have a fair amount of landmarks because none of the locations have been repeated yet.
– Can Sandy & Francesca climb back into the race without any money? And will Andy & Laura continue their competitive tactics? What competitive tactics? They were aggressive in claiming a cab that took them in the wrong direction?
– Mardy & Marsio, who arrived first at 211pm will depart at 211am.
– Mardy reads that teams must drive to the airport (how long until I start memorizing the names of the airports?) and fly to Jakarta, Indonesia. It is the capital city of the world’s archipelago. Once they land, teams must “get a taste of the wildlife” by heading to Kebun Binatang Ragunan.
Translation: It’s a zoo. Just a zoo.
By the way, what is with Indonesia suddenly appearing in every season of TAR? It went from only being in this foreign edition of TAR six years ago into a country that is visited in every American season of TAR since season 19. I think Indonesia has the highest number of pit stops of any country over the past four seasons.
Have you seen Wynona from TAR 22? You’re not allowed to say you’re not designed for this competition until you have seen her.
– They balance it by saying their brains are designed for TAR. Yes, it’s a matter of brains versus brawn.
– Ernie & Jeena read the clue in unison for several seconds at 220am. I am always impressed whenever teams accomplish this on their first attempt. Mardy & Marsio search for a cab to hire.
– Jeena thinks pressure produces their best performance. They leave money on Sandy & Francesca’s windshield. What goes around comes around?
– Mardy hires the cab. Him and his brother like to spend all of their money to get themselves to the pit stop. Their lives will be miserable if they are last on a non-elimination round.
– Jeena screws up on the directions. Multiple times.
– Zabrina & Joe Jer depart at 227am. Nearly everything that has been said thus far has been in subtitles this episode. Thank god because I would be more lost than Andrew behind the wheel.
ZABRINA (subtitles): Jo Jer. . .
Geez, team’s names are reversed at the pit stop and now they are misspelled in subtitles? They really don’t want to make things too clear for viewers, eh?
– Zabrina talks about being emotional. Ernie & Jeena pull over to get directions. Mardy meanwhile reads an amusing sign on the road.
Here it’s all about practicing safe sex, condom use, and not succumbing (pun unintended) to unwanted sexual advances. In areas with more stricter beliefs we see even the act of flying solo as a violation.
What the heck does Alt+F4 do one Malaysian keyboards anyway?
Oh, it’s a video of a bunch of families strolling together in a park and setting up a nice picnic. Hmmm. There really are stronger family values in the East.
– Able Sisters check out at 237am. Mardy & Marsio have a reasonable twenty-six minute lead. They talk about what they find inside of themselves is what encourages them.
Say. No. To. Porn.
– Andrew & Syeon depart at 242 hut hut am. Andrew wants to make the tough calls but realizes that may not be the smartest initial strategy after what happened in the first leg with the trail.
JACQUELIN (or AUBREY): Our strategy is be nice, nice, and sneaky.
You duplicated an answer like you were Richard Hatch doing a night-time reward challenge in Survivor: Borneo.
– Melody & Sharon commence at 257am. They want luck because winning requires plenty of luck. An unseen man announces he will take them to the airport. No idea how they ran into this sightless figure.
– One of the female racers is shocked that the “M&M Bros” are in first place. Sure enough we cut to a shot of them eating at 300am.
Something never addressed on TAR are the eating habits throughout the season. Thirty days of racing and I bet that not only is your sleeping cycle trashed, but your eating habits as well. I know you get to eat a bit of food at pit stops, but on rounds that last multiple days, your body must have the most inconsistent meal days and likely filled by the unhealthiest calories possible. How much does that drain you after a month?
Because I bet the pit stop meals offer comfort food that would trash your body because your mind is craving the tastiest meals possible.
– Andrew & Syeon think that teams have hired a taxi, and thus they should hire a taxi too.
You mean to tell me that teams didn’t look up directions to the airport upon leaving the pit stop?!
– Andy (who I spelled as Eddie in the previous blog) & Laura depart at 257am too. It appears that the check-ins for each leg are timed to the second. Good. I like that. Laura finds it impossible to argue with Andy and finds herself shouting. She is frustrated. They comment on the presence of a MacDonald’s.
– Sahran screams! Even before we recognize it’s him. And I can tell you that flamboyantly dressed Sri Lankans aren’t too difficult to recognize. Producers really went out of their way to find the epitome of the Asian Metrosexual. There was no reason for him to scream. I can’t imagine how loud he gets when he finds a quarter in his shoe.
Someone should create that two second audio clip and have it on repeat. It’s the strangest scream you will ever hear. It may beat out Christine Godlewski’s Tom Nook laugh from the third or fourth episode of TAR 8.
– They read the clue at 343am. Nearly an hour after Andy & Laura. Why the big gap? Howard & Sahran ask for directions from several people. This might be the worst batch of navigators I have seen in TAR history. I suppose Asia does not have as much of a car culture compared to America. They hire a taxi knowing it will cost them a fortune.
– Sahil & Prashant check out at 400am. They insist they will do anything to get ahead.
SAHIL: We will do anything we have to do to get ahead. Because. . .and if we don’t we don’t. But I think if we’re happy and have fun then tomorrow’s another day.
What. . .Are they talking about? That statement has about as much logic as a Harold Howard quote.
Clearly this YouTuber had fun with that clip.
– I wonder if the Asian audience has an easier time telling Asian racers apart compared to the American racers?
– Ernie & Jeena are next to the airport followed by Andrew & Syeon. Air Asia opens at 500am. We see Mardy eat some and chew with his mouth open. Able Sisters next. Andy & Laura follow.
– Ernie & Jeena book tickets. Andy discourages Laura from telling the ticket agent to cancel the opposing team’s tickets at the ticket counter.
– Sandy & Francesca bring up their tight rears in last place at 436am. They scoff at the idea of zero funds. Every team left money on their car windshield. Some teams left behind notes of encouragement.
I imagine all of the teams anticipated Yields down the road, and the fact it is only one round. No point creating uncomfortable conflicts and rivalries on the first leg of the race.
Unless you hate Twins. People shouldn’t look alike! Silver would be declaring Twin Hunts on everybody if she were apart of TAR Asia.
– Francesca says Sandy would have had a stroke if he couldn’t have his protein. They have 115. I don’t know of what currency, but I presume it is a lot. That isn’t enough because Francesca begs for more money from visitors at the airport.
They’d make a few grand quickly if they would sell their rings and necklaces. Not desperate enough.
– Francesca receives 150 rings. How’d they do it?
Throwing a bucket of protein powder at an unsuspecting hedgehog. He was saving up for college! Heartless bastards.
– All teams end up on the same flight to Jakarta. Wu (yes, I looked up the host’s name to be Allen Wu) provides voiceover that teams are on an unnamed flight to Jakarta. No time is provided. The flight is only 100 kilometres.
– Jakarta Airport. Teams scramble into taxis. Andrew & Syeon complain they are first but any sense of lines are disrupted. Ernie & Jeena think they were screwed over by getting kicked out because they are unaware that Andrew & Syeon booked a taxi ahead of time.
See. Andrew & Syeon did something that no other teams have done yet–plan in advance. I expect these two will make it to the Final Three.
– Mardy & Marsio take a toll road. It’s more expensive but it should get them there first. Zabrina & Joe Jer ramble in their cab. Talking about claws coming out. The only ones with claws are the Able Sisters.
– Sandy & Francesca campaign their cab to go faster. Everybody’s cabs are encouraged to go faster. Able Sisters comment on their driver’s good looks. Andy & Laura brag being in first. Andrew & Syeon’s plan backfire because their cab isn’t willing to engage in the race.
– Sahran is freaked out. That’s nothing new but the reason for it this time is because cabs have to drive on the wrong side of the road as ten cabs have a gigantic game of Chicken.
Or in the case of TAR Asia, a game of Chicken Rice.
– The audio screeches when Melody screams. Low budget sound equipment.
– We’re at the zoo. The cab must have been driving really fast to make up for M&M’s weight because they are first to the clue box.
Camera operator right behind.
– We don’t know what place any of the teams are in except that a bunch of them are at the clue box together. It’s a roadblock.
“Who likes animals?”
As if a zoo wasn’t a big enough giveaway that the task would involve animals. That would be like going to a restaurant and the roadblock clue being:
“Who likes to eat?”
– Teams must locate the zoo’s snake pit. Find Dudley Dursley inside. Whoever does the roadblock must wade through the snake pit. These snakes in Indonesia are the second largest in the world next to the anaconda.
It would’ve been nice to see him make the jump from Anaconda to TAR.
Her not so much.
What the heck are you doing here, Ja Rule? J Lo ain’t really here, man.
– Once in the snake pit, teams will have a two minute time limit.
Alright players, I hear the best thing to do is to scramble and make as many sudden movements as possible to beat the clock!
– Howard wants to keep the same taxi as they enter the zoo. The teammember who isn’t doing the roadblock can travel with their partner and point out where the clue is inside the snake pit. They merely can’t enter it.
Aw shucks. I know they are really pissed they get to miss out on entering a pit of snakes.
– Howard & Sahran reach the clue. Sahran agrees to do it. Milk was a bad choice.
– Ernie & Jeena are first there. Ernie nearly steps on a snake. They read the clue. It’s a Fast Forward.
Holy crap. There’s a Fast Forward? On leg two? Hooray! We may be reverting back to the classic format of TAR Asia: A Format That Actually Makes Sense. We’re saved! Unless sticking a Fast Forward on round two is a one-time thing which I desperately hope is not.
– Allen recaps the rules. It is identical to the format we are all accustomed to.
JEENA: Do we use it now?
ERNIE: I don’t care. Take it when you can take it.
Leaders are going for it without question? Uh oh. There may be only two or three all season. Sounds like TAR Asians are as dumb as TAR Americans in terms of formatting the Fast Forward.
– In this Fast Forward, teams must travel to Sma Negeri 60 Jakarta, a school that is six kilometres away from the zoo. Once there they will receive their next clue.
Yes. A Fast Forward where you need to find a clue box. This is unusual for us Westerners. This is assuming I don’t have much of a viewing audience outside of North America.
Subliminal messaging much? They don’t explain why Sony Walkman is written for the Fast Forward.
– Ernie & Jeena were the only team to not pay their taxi to remain at the zoo. With nine taxis reserved, Ernie & Jeena may be waiting for a while.
– Marsio admits his fear for snakes. Ernie & Jeena eventually go with an unassigned taxi.
– Marsio slowly steps. He couldn’t be more fearful. Mardy gives advice.
MARDY: Don’t step on the tail.
– Mardy & Marsio read that they must hate to the West Sumatera Pavilion Plate Dance. They of course must do a plate dance. Mardy & Marsio run away.
– Jeena & Ernie are committing to the Fast Forward. Sahil & Prashant have jumped into third. Mardy continues to rant about snakes. All of the other teams took a number and must wait their turn. I suppose the snakes don’t like too much company.
– Sahil & Prashant decide to go for the Fast Forward despite knowing they are comfortably in third place.
Sahil. . .you’re an idiot!
– Ernie & Jeena understand the consequences if they screw up the Fast Forward.
– Sahran asks if the snake has eaten yet today. Not yet. He’s in the mood for some dark meat today. He scales the perimeter.
Spiderman. . .Spiderman.
– Howard & Sahran finish and claim fourth. Zabrina is crying. And cries some more. She understands she can do it.
– Laura is doing the roadblock. She PETS the snake. Don’t believe me?
If she has a fun time hanging out with snakes, I would suggest to Andy to keep her away from the stingray enclosure.
– Andy reminds her that there is a two minute time limit. I am in disbelief she voluntarily rubbed the snake. Next thing you know she is going to speak Parseltongue.
– Howard has a brain and acknowledges that Ernie & Jeena will claim the Fast Forward. Sahran sees the East Indian boys taking the alternate road to the Fast Forward location. Sahil & Prashant don’t know if they are the only ones trying to take it.
– Sharon or Melody is doing the roadblock. The one is licking its lips next to Sharon/Melody.
C’mon, just want one kiss.
– The snake jumps out at the woman who is doing the roadblock. She jumps and screams. I refuse to believe nobody was around to keep the snake under control. Eventually she retrieves the clue and somehow within the time limit. They are sixth.
– Zabrina proceeds to do the roadblock. She thinks it is one of the worst things to do ever. The clue is retrieved without incident, but she is shaken up from the experience. Joe Jer comforts her as they head to their cab.
– Andrew & Syeon are eighth followed by Sandy & Francesca.
– Zabrina & Joe Jer re-enact the plate dance in the cab. Mardy & Marsio do their own version.
– Andrew has the clue and wants to go for the Fast Forward. Syeon convinces him that they are probably eighth because Sandy & Francesca and the Able Sisters are the only ones still inside the zoo.
– Mardy & Marsio begin to plate dance. Francesca agrees to do the roadblock.
FRANCESCA: I should’ve told you snakes are my only fear.
Who knew a jungle-themed zoo would have the audacity to make you do a snake-related task on a TV show all about thrills.
– Francesca runs out with the clue. Andrew & Syeon’s slow walk as Syeon reminds him that they saw Ernie & Jeena exit on their way in is holding them back because Sandy & Francesca have been running the whole time. Suddenly Andrew & Syeon are ninth.
Whatever you do Mabel, don’t trip the wire. This isn’t child’s play like you’re making funny patterns for Goose and Huck. You step in the wrong spot and you’re dead. DEAD! You hear me?
– Mardy & Marsio complain about the heat. Haven’t they lived in Indonesia their whole lives? Humidity of the equator should be the norm for them.
– Howard & Sahran say combining plates and dancing is their ideal task. Sandy & Francesca thought they were second or third but are really eighth. Apparently they spaced out during the initial taxi race.
– Mardy & Marsio complete the task. These two are still in the lead? It’s an immediate Detour. Allen Wu gives a twenty second explanation about a random market in Jakarta. There are ten stalls set up.
WU: They must decide whether to Push or Sell.
MARDY: Push or Sell.
WU: In Push. . .
This is strange editing.
– In Push, teams must push their cart five hundred metres along a marked course while singing a traditional Indonesian song called “Uncle Baso”. Word of caution: If the bowl of soya sauce spills inside the cart, they will be asked to do it all over again.
Indonesian songs are traditionally English? That’s new to me. And an Asian task that involves soya sauce? Oh boy.
This season is going to be too much fun.
– In Sell, teams must prepare and sell fifteen pounds of meatball soup at a price of 200 rupia. They have the option of eating the soup that they do not sell. Once they have sold or eaten the required amount, they will receive their next clue.
Truth be told I think this is the best and most creative Detour I have seen in TAR’s history. The Asians have prepared the first course well.
– Mardy & Marsio agree to sell the soup. Sahil & Prashant consent to going for the Fast Forward. They could not seem more pessimistic. Ernie hopes the Fast Forward pays off and that they will gain a big lead.
– Andy & Laura and Zabrina & Joe Jer are doing the plate dance. Ernie & Jeena get out and ask for directions as they run around aimlessly. Sahil & Prashant are running too.
– Sahil & Prashant beat Ernie & Jeena to the clue box. Their mission? Find kids listening to music on Sony Walkman. Out of these kids they must identify the teenager who is listening to a track that plays “you have chosen correctly” to receive your next clue.
I would hate to compose that piece of crap. Produced by Russ Landau?
– Sahil & Prashant head into the basketball court and temporarily borrow a bunch of kids’ headphones.
“Incorrect–sorry, try again”
So that’s what the kids are listening to these days. It’s better than that horrible hip hop music that is all about shooting and objectifying women.
And look! Those East Indian boys are feeling that beat!
– Ernie & Jeena invade a nice home wondering where the school is. They are provided with specific directions.
– Able Sisters are the second team to complete the Plate Dance. Off they go. Sahil & Prashant have checked some of the headphones twice. Andy & Laura’s lazy dance is approved and are third to receive the clue.
LAURA: Honey, make the decision please. Please.
ANDY: . . .
I’m glad Laura allowed Andy to make that decision.
– Ernie & Jeena are still lost. Prashant recognized that she hadn’t approached the ugliest female in the crowd.
See, ugly people can be helpful. Okay, she’s not ugly. Truth be told that anyone looks ugly standing next to Mmmmumbai Modeling Men, I am sure.
– Sahil reads they must take a taxi to the MONAS Monument in Jakarta. They must enter through the IRTI Monas car park entrance. The kids cheer as they exit.
– At the conclusion of the scene we hear from Wu to provide more details. MONAS is the symbol of the Indonesian people’s struggle for independence. Last team to check in may be eliminated.
– Ernie & Jeena ask if they should bus it. A person points straight ahead to the school. Ernie checks the clue box. Fast Forward taken.
Remember when I said Sahil & Prashant were idiots for taking this FF?
Well screw you! I still stand by that. Those two were lucky that Ernie & Jeena continue to have zero navigational skills.
– Ernie & Jeena claim their mistake was exiting the cab too early and believing they could run the whole way. They assume Mardy & Marsio have the Fast Forward.
– Andy & Laura fear they are in last because the Able Sisters were last to the snake pit. Able Sisters are too busy talking to the camera as we see the camera zoom in on Andy & Laura’s taxi passing them. Able Sisters assume they are still ahead of Andy & Laura. Oh, now they see them.
– Zabrina & Joe Jer start plate dancing. All of these teams must be very close together if Able Sisters climb from tenth to third instantly. Ernie & Jeena giggle about their Fast Forward mistake. Zabrina & Joe Jer complete the dance. I believe the dance takes no more than a minute in real time.
– Sandy & Francesca are lost. They are asking for directions to the Plate Dance. See? This is why first round non-eliminations may not be serving any purpose. The truly crappy teams are destined to go early. Zabrina & Joe Jer are going to Sell because Push may require too much strength.
This is Sahran’s Gorilla Plate Pose. Luckily Eric & Jeremy aren’t around for this task. They would be smashing every plate in sight in hopes of obtaining the Fast Forward.
– Andrew & Syeon try to dance with the plates as quickly as possible. Howard & Sahran are done. They will Push it. Push it real good.
– Ernie & Jeena arrive at the dance. Melody & Sharon are magically there. TAR really needs to explain these things. Sharon & Melody are done. They shall Sell.
– The cab driver tells Sahil & Prashant that they are forty minutes away from the pit stop. This may prove to be quicker than the Kuala Lumpur round.
– Melody & Sharon’s cab driver starts teaching them the Uncle Baso song. I can assure you none of the lyrics are in English.
– Mardy & Marsio are the first team to the Detour. Push it, boys. Their vocal chords are getting as much of a workout as their muscles.
– Melody & Sharon’s cab driver is honked at. Sharon ends the singing lesson because it is distracting the driver. Hilarious.
I can tell the difference between Melody & Sharon! Sharon has darker hair.
– Locals watch as Mardy & Marsio are instructed to re-do the task. They need to sing it faster and correctly. Sandy & Francesca finish the task. To no surprise. they will Push.
– Zabrina & Joe Jer refuse to eat or push. Therefore they must sell all fifteen pounds no matter what. They begin to sell right away. Mardy & Marsio successfully complete the task.
– Can you guess what they have to do? Yep, you’re right. Mardy & Marsio are off to the MONAS Monument.
– Andy & Laura are third to the stall. Pushing. Howard & Sahran are fourth to the stall. Sahran refuses to be Mr. Nice Guys and make the aggressive move to surge ahead. Andy & Laura struggle to move the cart, sing, and prevent spilling the soya sauce.
– Marsio commented on how difficult it is to push a cart, and commend workers for being able to do it on a daily basis.
– What is perhaps more shocking is how Sahil & Prashant are surprised to discover that one of the busiest and most populated cities in the world is suffering from a traffic jam. Prashant believes the other teams are closer to the pit stop because of the positioning within the city.
– Zabrina & Joe Jer have sold five of fifteen bowls. Andrew & Syeon are fifth to the stall and push. Marsio sings their own song of people making them meatball soup.
– Ernie & Jeena are the last team to the Plate Dance. Jeena instructs Ernie on the dance. If only they knew that nobody has bothered to fail a team for their dance.
– Sharon & Melody are seventh to the stall. They are pushing the cart. Everyone must be singing over each other.
– Zabrina & Joe Jer have five bowls remaining. We see them completing the task. Off to a taxi they go.
– Jeena continues to give instructions. They receive a clue. Melody & Sharon struggle to push the cart as much as Andy & Laura.
– Sahil & Prashant check into the pit stop. They have gone from ninth to first thanks to one of the biggest gambles in TAR. Sahil regrets their decision to claim the Fast Forward regardless of their victory.
– Sandy & Francesca cry in the cab. We shift to a more positive atmosphere in the form of singing. Sahran is tapping a stick against the cart to keep up the rhythm. Soya sauce bowls intact.
– Able Sisters hug the worker. We see Able Sisters, Andy & Laura, Melody & Sharon, and Howard & Sahran finish simultaneously. It’s chaotic.
– Syeon reminds me of Cindy from TAR 19.
– Sandy & Francesca are eighth to the stall. They sing in monotone as they push it. Ernie & Jeena arrive last. Jeena is already asking the instructors ten questions and also providing Ernie with her own instructions. They spill soya sauce right away. Ernie wants to restart because of the spill. Jeena thinks they will accept the spill.
I think the soya sauce rule was too subjective. What constitutes an insignificant spill? Does it come down to millilitres? Whatever they notice? Whatever producers choose to acknowledge? Because it sounds like some teams got away with minor spills while others like Andy & Laura didn’t.
– Andrew & Syeon joke that Syeon did nothing. Andrew said all Syeon did was touch it. He wanted help. Syeon wishes she would have told him.
I sense the locals find the song repetitive after the ninth cart in the span of one hour.
– Syeon says her plan in the cart pushing task was to watch the soya sauce. Clearly Andrew wanted more from her.
– We see various zoom-ins of the soya sauce. It’s wobbling a lot. The instructor informs them they must do it one more time because they spilled too much soya sauce.
Too much soya sauce spilled? The whole course AGAIN despite already being in a virtual tie for dead last?
– Syeon is under the impression that she is last. Everyone assumes they are trailing in TAR Asia.
– Mardy & Marsio pull into the pit stop. Wu is in sight. Mardy stops halfway through the run.
What’s the point of running? We’re not even playing for a Kodak Easyshare Digital Camera.
– They are second. Essentially back-to-back victorious rounds of TAR. Unexpected dominators.
– Sandy & Francesca receive their clue as expected. The taxi race is on. Every single team is paying off their driver or showing them clues or looking at maps.
The stereotype is further enforced when the driver takes his hands off the wheel while the car is in motion all because he wants to count additional money from Joe Jer.
– Ernie & Jeena are still pushing soya sauce. Jeena is shown saying ‘stop’ a quadrillion times. Now they are being too careful dealing with the soya sauce.
– Sahran haggles his funds after the taxi ride. It’s all good. Ernie & Jeena are finished the Detour. Sandy assumes he is in last.
– It’s a big foot race at MONAS Monument. In the shocker of all shockers, Howard & Sahran are third. Sahran talks about how many cabs they passed on the way in.
– Sandy & Francesca’s cab pulls into a gas station. As he prepares to fuel up he tries to force Sandy & Francesca to pay for his fuel. When they refuse to do so, the driver gets back in the cab. Needless to say they are concerned about what will happen.
– Joe Jer had a slow jog but sees Melody & Sharon right behind in a full sprint. Zabrina & Joe Jer barely preserve their lead to claim fourth. Melody & Sharon are fifth.
– Ernie & Jeena and Sandy & Francesca build up suspense as to who will be eliminated.
– Able Sisters beat out Laura to the mat thanks to her trip and fall at the last second. Able Sisters are sixth. Andy & Laura are seventh. Wu congratulates them on their mediocre finish.
– Andrew & Syeon are shown checking into the pit stop a few seconds later. Team number eight. More suspense is built. Ernie & Jeena and Sandy & Francesca are shown running into the pit stop separately.
– Sandy & Francesca are ninth as expected. Both cry in relief. It would have been more amusing to see them finish dead last in the cast on consecutive rounds. Ernie & Jeena are disappointed to know they are most likely eliminated.
Jeena tries the Tramel & Talicia approach by refusing to acknowledge the host when he informs them they are not only last but eliminated.
Nah nah, you can’t eliminate me.
Nah nah, don’t copy me.
– Both reflect on how good of shape they are and how much they love each other. It’s their tenth year anniversary. Once they sort out the carnage of being ousted earlier, they claim to be stronger than ever.
– Next time on TAR Asia: One team’s leisure ride is another team’s nightmare. And a search in the sand stretches teams to their limits.
Rank the Legs
1) Kuala Lumpur -> Jakarta (Tasks were more original this round. None of them had been repeated from traditional TAR. A snake pit had never been done. Simultaneously singing while steadily pushing a cart had never been done. Searching Walkman music also had never been done. Oh, and I suppose the plate dance has similarities to TAR 10’s round one Beijing paddle dance.
Again, every team was easy-going. Did I mention how refreshing that is? The editing remains to be unsteady and inconsistent, but at the very least the music soundtrack had smooth transitions and were relevant to the scenes.
I should note that this was TAR’s first visit to Indonesia. Therefore, we need to credit production for picking an unvisited location.
Ernie & Jeena’s downfall seemed unfair because we were never given the proper criteria for how much soya sauce could or could not be spilled. Although their terrible navigation throughout the episode made their elimination to be absent of any surprise. Sahil & Prashant claiming the Fast Forward based on a self-admitted gamble was perhaps the highlight of the episode.
Overall, I think this worked out better than the premiere. Just wish we knew what time that Air Asia flight left Kuala Lumpur!)
2) Kuala Lumpur -> . . .Kuala Lumpur (It would have been funnier to either have the pit stop at the pit stop of the stadium or to make them go back to the starting line of the race.
The route was fine for the first round of the first ever Asian edition. Production did a good job of avoiding any landmarks already seen in Kuala Lumpur throughout multiple seasons of TAR. The teams are all friendly and cordial which makes it an extremely unusual competitive reality TV show. Nobody screams. Nobody shoves another. Nobody gets into arguments with locals. This is the calmest and most respectful group of people I have ever seen. Well, until Sandy goes a few more days without his muscle milk.
The jungle trail to the pit stop is unique and inventive. The rest of the tasks were fairly textbook TAR. An eleventh team being cast would have been a better idea than a first round non-elimination merely because the non-elimination penalty is not very effective when teams cannot be devastated by the penalty.
If I had to describe the round in one word: Calm. Yes, I described a race as being calm after one episode. Shows how crazy those dang Americans are.
And whoever is in charge of timing the use of the TAR soundtrack needs to be fired. I think the editors of The Amazing Hunt do a better job with music.)
Rank the Teams
1) Ernie & Jeena
One of the strongest teams who happen to be married for at least ten years. A fit older team is rare on TAR. Their biggest weakness was surprising because it came in the form of mentally navigating the confusing metropolitan cities. If it weren’t for navigation, these two would have fared much better. Bad luck with cabs also contributed to their demise.
Jeena’s Type A personality made for some entertaining interactions during their limited presence on the show. Both of them had a great sense of humour. Going from first to last in what appeared to be a very close four hours of racing around Jakarta may be one of the more unusual events to occur in TAR history. That twenty minute detour (as opposed to the Detour/task) was the difference between first and last. Usually it is not that narrow of gap from first to last in TAR’s earlier years.
ZABRINA.JOE JER 4.3